Friday, August 29, 2008

What does a really good post look like?

Hello Everyone,

This morning, some students asked me what a "really good" response to these chapter questions looks like, so they'll know how to formulate their own responses. Remember that a good post includes your opinion, interpretation and integration of the material from the text and lectures with relevant aspects of your life experience.

This summer I had a student who was very articulate and gave me some really good responses. If I could have given him a grade higher than an A, I would have.

It is with his permission that I'm sharing some of his chapter responses with you here:

Chapter 3:
I've considered this question before, and I've always had trouble coming up with an answer. Recently, on "Dancing with the Stars," which is one of my favorite TV shows (don't laugh...), Marlee Matlin danced REALLY well and made it several weeks into the competition. She was deaf. It was really amazing to watch.

Based on this, I think that I could learn to live without my hearing. I've also never been too huge on smell, so I'm throwing that one out the window, as well. I'm the first to admit that touch is really awesome, but, in the end, I'm a visual person.

I don't know what I would do if I couldn't see. I'm an aspiring filmmaker and an amateur classic film buff. If I couldn't see the amazing images that I study hours and hours over, I'd lose much of my reason for living. I need to see these things. It's part of me.

Now in order to see these things I already have to have really high-powered contacts, but that's another story...


Chapter 7:
There were several ideas that really struck a chord with me in today's class. I've actually spent time thinking about how I think before, so this was an interesting lecture for me. Plus, I loved the "Stupidity" video, particularly the section on Bush because I HAVE SO ARGUED that he was elected (well, elected in stretching it) because the "stupid" population felt he was one of them. Also, you know he didn't buy that ranch in Crawford UNTIL right before he starting his campaign... I could go on for days about that awful man. Anyway...

I think someone who is intelligent is not necessarily book smart. I agree with the idea we discussed today that intelligence is someone who is smart when it comes to picking up ideas quickly and problem-solving. That is, in my opinion, basic intelligence. I think many people perceive intelligence to be someone who is educated, when I would just group these people as individuals who are testing their intelligence. Most people have the capacity to live up to the public perception of intelligence, they just choose not to do so.

Chapter 11:
I really thought that Allport's theory was fairly reasonable and realistic. I think the idea of central and secondary traits makes a whole lot of sense. I believe what made me relate to it so well was the comparison you made to a recommendation letter. Allport nailed right on the head what the "central" traits were because that is how we describe people. I thought that was all very interesting.

I was surprised to find how much I disliked Freud's theory. It really is very stupid and I just don't understand how he ever came to the conclusion that all young boys want their moms and hate their dads and all young girls have "penis envy." That all seemed a bit much. I don't think there's that ridiculous of a process to kids... they're just kids after all. Now I know why I hated "Oedipus Rex" so much...

Chapter 13:
I personally think the most effective method would be the humanistic approach. If I were to go to therapy, I believe that I would respond better to a sympathetic therapist. I tend to hole up when I'm not comfortable, so I do not think the other forms of therapy would work well with me. I also have had a lot of success drawing information out of people by being the sympathetic friend.

But I do see that there are weaknesses. For instance, some people might feel its easier to get away with lying about themselves with the humanistic approach. Others might be able to steer the therapy more on their comfort level, and for some that would probably not get a lot done.

Still, I would prefer this approach to all the others.

No comments: